Soundboard drydown for installation

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 19 14:05:33 MST 2008

Yes... both bits in equal proportion.

One thing that goes again and again tho... not submiting a piano to
extremes of climate conditions. Strikes me that if you hold any board
within reasonable operating parameters climate wise it will last a long
time and do very well indeed.

But we digress.... I get your drift anyways.  You are willing to go so
far as to acknowledge that if the end grain in Rons experiment can be
attributed as the reason the panel didn't crown, then it must be strong
enough to resist any such pressure.... which immediately means it would
be able to hold up in the arch scenario.  But you are not willing to go
along with it ever being in the arch scenario to begin with.... yes ?

    " I agree,  that if one believes that rim constraint causes crown,
    then a panel edge that resisted crushing would indeed be part of a
    crown-making system."

Cheers
RicB

         > But it is kinda cool to try and understand how all
         > these different ways of going about building a piano are
        reasoned out...
         > and how much of that reasoning has something going for it.

    And how much of it for which there is no reason.......

    Terry Farrell