Digital versus Acoustic Pianos

tompiano at bellsouth.net tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 20 05:39:55 MST 2008

They aren't pianos. They are electronic keyboards. Part of the appeal of a piano ( over a keyboard) include points you've correctly stated. However, add the element of an omni-directional soundwave ( which a piano produces) vs the 2 dimensional soundwave ( of any electronic device with a speaker)  and you have a stark difference in tonal ambiance. In the 70's there was much mumbling and groaning of the fact that the electronic keyboard's popularity would take over the piano industry by the year 2000. The prediction was for a demise of the piano industry soon after 2000.
Well, well, well...that hasn't been the case. If anything, the introduction of the keyboard has helped put into perspective how nice a piano is.
Add also the fact that the keyboard's lifespan is, what 5-8 yrs. And also to the fact that the value of the keyboard drops  as fast as a computer.
The keyboards have their place. Our family owns one and we enjoy it for it's convience, it's mobility, and you can use headphones those moments. But that's as far as the positives go,I find keyboards very boring and unteresting to play.

Tom Servinsky

-------------- Original message from "Lorenzo Lacovara" <Lacovara at msn.com>: --------------

I originated this thread and feel that I did not articulate more clearly the problem I have with digital "pianos".

1. Touch sensitivity. I play the piano and have to date not found a single digital instrument that has the touch sensitivity of even the worst acoustical. This seems to do mostly with the length of the key and associated leverage. There are big differences between playing arpeggios on longer keys where the weight is more uniform because of the action geometry. and keys that are short and artificially loaded by springs.

2. The sound board in an acoustical piano sums  (read capital Sigma) the vibrations that are transmitted to it via the bridge from all currently moving strings thus, providing the unique characteristics of individual instruments.

For those more familiar with the artists of the "Golden age of piano"  is it possible to imagine Horowitz playing his version of the Liszt second Hungarian Rhapsody on a Beckstein?? Or more recently, Murray Perahia  playing Mozart on a Bosendorfer Imperial?. Digital Instruments flatten them all out into the same glat-kultur sound.

Yes , digital instruments certainly do have a place, but certainly not as solo instruments.

I just have a real hard time calling them pianos.

Lorenzo Lacovara

The Piano Exchange
BUY  SELL  TUNING  REPAIRS
Hoffman Town Square