Hammer re-facing and blow distance

annie at allthingspiano.com annie at allthingspiano.com
Sun Jan 20 13:10:28 MST 2008

Talking with customers about hammer condition really CAN be fun!  Most of
them are so excited to see what's going on inside that big wooden thing.

After the fist/fingers demonstration, I also explain that a piano note
contains lots of tones, just like sunlight contains many colors.  Then I
play the overtone series, as an arpeggio, starting at C2 and explain that
all those tones are "inside" C2, but that different parts are more
noticeable at different times.

I play A#4, C5, D5, E5 a "chord" and explain that you're hearing more of
that when the hammers are hard and grooved, as opposed to the C2-C3 octave
when the hammers are softer and well-shaped.  (Forgive me if my octave
numbers are off -- I'm playing the tabletop and counting....)

And now they understand their piano's bright/hard sound as something that
can actually be controlled, rather than just how it is.  I don't always
get a voicing job out of the demonstration, but I do tend to get a call
within a couple weeks to do it.

For regulation, I first ask if their piano is their partner.  (They
usually laugh.)  And then I ask whether they can play their piano softly
without having to really concentrate and be careful about how they do it.
(And they wonder how I knew....)  Even before I open the piano, I often
play a bit and then tell them what we're likely to see when I do open it.
A little magic never hurts, right? <g>

Annie G.