Renner pinning

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Jan 20 14:56:33 MST 2008

Hi Ed
  Well in fairness to Renner I've had every name brand of  parts freeze up on
occasion & Renner no exception. I've come to except  that just  It's a
manufacturing hazard we need to except & deal with on  rare occasions
  Of Course the nagging question is always ...Why?
   The last set of wippens that was my misfortune  were The Tokiwa parts &
that was a loooong time ago before they went to the  Yamaha pinning protocol
which solved there problems & Provided for really  solid pinning. In that case
after repinning a few  & then having more  subsequent call backs, the guys at
Pacific Piano supply replaced them at NO  CHARGE. A very Stand up thing to do
considering the parts were about 5 years  old. I & they suspected that a small
amount of glue eventually wicked in to  the pin cloth interface & began
binding. It would usually be ok until they  really go warmed up & then they would
rear their dysfunctional head. My  guess is that My Meyer would replace them if
you wish but then..... is it  quicker to just repin without much
regulation..... or start  over.
  Hope fully the other pinning doesn't act up  later.  Probably not.
  Dale

Ed Foote wrote
  It's a nice action. Full wazoo, new everything but the keys and  rails.
Has all the weights working together and the initial  voicing is getting
focused
and most everybody's happy and all, until, after  six months of steady daily
use, a jack froze up.  Upon checking, there  were several that were
noticeably
sluggish.
No time  to do much of anything but Protek'em when I found this out but now,
since  this is a performance piano, I have to go carve enough time in my pre
8:00  schedule to repin every last one of them! Soon.
This  additional work effectively raises the price I paid for these
whippens, and  they cost enough, as it is. Has anyone else run into the
Renner
jacks  freezing up?  I know to check the hammer flanges, as they have a
history of
binding up, but I haven't seen the problems in the whippens, before.

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker  rd
Modesto, Ca. 95357
Shop 209-577-8397