Chinese made Yamaha P22s - update

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Jan 21 13:03:41 MST 2008

Roger Wheelock wrote:
> Hello Conrad and List,
>  >
> I read your concern this morning about the push pins being a problem
> with the Chinese P22.  We used to sell what we called a "pin-peg setter"
> that eliminated hammering and allowed for easy placement of the push
> pins.  We stopped making them when the demand for them fell to zero.
> Now, we sell a hex head screw driver which also doubles as a "pin-peg
> setter" when the handle is removed.  Perhaps this tool would be useful
> with the new P22s. I will take a picture of these and post to the list.
> It is likely that the "pin-peg setter" can be easily duplicated by
> technicians.

Roger,

Thanks for your response - it's great to have manufacturers and supplies
on the list!

I got to thinking outside of the box (i.e. normal tuning kit) and found
that my becket breaker fits nicely over the pinhead.  I have a 1/4"
nutdriver for the screws, as well as 1/4" socket for my cordless drill.
(Particularly useful for maple backposts...)

> With regard to the watering tube, notching of the corner of the front
> panel is an option for the vertical application instead of making a
> groove in the underside of the keybed.  This technique has been used in
> pianos with the same problem for many years.

I've used it, also, but I don't trust what the glueboard would do when I
start carving on it. I'm not into polyester touch-up. Having that high
point over the board helps drain the tube after filling, too. Less water
left in the tube to change colors...

   Other technicians have
> brought the watering tube up so it is accessible through the top of the
> piano.  This isn't very useful if the piano owner is placing items on
> top of the piano, but it might work well in a university setting.

I don't trust student workers or (forsooth!) myself not to spill water
into the action, either, however.
;-{

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076