Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jan 21 14:32:37 MST 2008

At 20:30 +0100 21/1/08, Stéphane Collin wrote:

>What makes me doubt is that Iasked a Titebond technician how the
>glue joint would behave in my climate, which is 25 % relative
>humidity in the worse days of the winter and 65 % in the wettest
>days of the summer.  Here is what the guy answered me :
>
>" The Titebond Liquid Hide Glue is sensitive to humidity, even when dried.
>At the least, it can soften in the humidity you describe. If the substrates
>part during that time, the bond will fail. If the substrates remain together
>during that time and the humidity lowers, the bond will remain. I hope this
>answers the question."

I have no experience with Titebond LHG but I presume the same could
be said of any hide glue by its very nature, and unless it is
subjected to really extreme humidity, or worse, really heavy
fluctuations from extreme aridity to extreme humidity, no ill will
befall.  I had an old 1880 Schiedmayer (J&P), assembled with good
hide glue of course, that I left outside in the English weather for
over three years.  It refused to disintegrate or go much out of tune
and the brass-wound bass strings sounded fine all the way to the
bonfire.  The humidity here as I write is 94% and will often reach
99%.  We're lucky to get 75% even in the summer.  Our pianos do not
fall apart!

Much though I love hide glue for most work, I would not hesitate to
use other hard-setting glues for sticking down the soundboard.  There
is quite a choice:

1. A casein glue such as Cascamite
2. Aerolite 306, urea-formaldehye resin glue
<http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aerolite-306-Synthetic-Resin-Wood-Glue_W0QQitemZ350013342206>
3. West Systems epoxy

All these allow plenty of time before setting/curing and all of them
are, I think, completely resistant to moisture.

JD