Damper pedal modifications

pianoguru at cox.net pianoguru at cox.net
Mon Jan 21 15:16:48 MST 2008

Hi Annie,

I once modified a computer "joystick" to function as a knee lever on the piano bench, in conjunction with a PianoDisc pedal solenoid, to accommodate an amputee-pianist.  Researching the project, I found a patent for a mercury switch, mounted in a hat for the switching device.  A tilt of the head would activate the switch.  Neither of these solutions would easily meet the portability requirements of your situation.  A few years after this project, I was contacted by a university research group, who were working on a similar situation.  In their case, portability was also an issue.  I don't recall how they dealt with that aspect of it.  I'll have to do some digging, but maybe I can find some of their correspondence with me with more information.

Frank Emerson