Chinese made Yamaha P22s - update

hoffsoco at luther.edu hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Jan 21 17:06:31 MST 2008

> Conrad,
>
> But can you blame that on the country of origin?  The only piano I've
> ever had to do that to (in my admittedly limited experience) was a
> Yamaha U1.  Do you actually carve out the bottom of the keybed, or the
> top of the panel?
>
> Mike

I'm not blaming a thing, more a report on status from initial observation.

The shift to the Chinese factory has been accompanied by not only a change
in panel core materials, but fallboard configuration, front leg top
attachment method and the addition of a stiffening bar on the back of the
music rack.

I'm sure that I'll find other minor changes which along with the shift of
manufacturing venue have permitted Yamaha to hold the line on price.

and yes,  I did chisel out a channel on the underside of the keybed and
put a tube clamp inverted into the groove. That keeps the tubing up in
there.

 Conrad