Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 01:21:09 MST 2008

At 20:01 -0500 21/1/08, Farrell wrote:

>Ahh! No!..., Ahhhhhh!!!!!! Nooooooooo!!!!!!! Say it ain't so!...
>please have some mercy on the next guy to put a board in that piano
>down the road!
>...The last two are for sure, as well as they are resistant to removal!
>
>That just ain't right!

Well, where you are you seem to replace soundboards as though they
were sparking-plugs.  Quite why I can't tell.  A soundboard over here
is most unlikely to be replaced even after 100 years and most of them
are fine after 100 years if the pianos have any worth.

As to the difficulty of removal, it makes no difference unless you
intend to remove the old board with every fibre intact and keep it in
a museum as an example of a soundboard that failed.

JD