Dead Bass Strings

Steven J. Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 07:53:34 MST 2008

Hello again,

I recently went to do a tuning on a Wurlitzer spinet.  Both copper wound bass string at the break were "thuddy".  No sustain to the sound.  The lower strings were fine.  I decided to try changing the string to see if it would be better.  No dice.  Upon removal of the string however, I found the bass bridge pins to be so loose I could remove them with my fingers.  What is the best repair for this?  The client just purchased this "used" piano from a dealer who is willing to trade back the piano and let them choose something else.   Thanks for the help!

Steven