Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Jan 22 08:13:59 MST 2008

Hi Stepahne
  Many of the pianos I have used the Franklin Cold hide  glue have gone to
the Bay are where it can be 60% humidity for much of the  year.  SO far no
exploding pianos. What I have found is that as it  ages it seems to get really
hard. IE shards of it hangin off the bottom of the  board are glassy like it's hot
glue cousin.  Also My buddy David  Hughes in Maryland (home of the
Baltimorons) uses it  routinely & his summer climates are harsher than  in Calif. Also
One of  my mentors in Minnesota uses it in a very cruel climate.
  Your glue is out of date.  It reads oct 24  2007.  Which means sell before
this date. Like milk.
   For board glue in I would suggest using a glue  that is still in date.
When I do apply it I like to warm it slightly in my  glue pot.  It spreads
quickly & penetrates easier.  I've done it  both ways.  Still ....no exploding
pianos.
  Your safe in my opinion.
  Dale

Hi  John.

Well, this was my point : hot hide glue does the job pretty well,  even in
our humid climates.
But will the cold hide glue do ?
May I  ask Terry and Dale who use it with great satisfaction what kind of
climate  their instruments are in ?
Following the tech at Franklin, the liquid hide  glue would soften at 60 %
humidity.  Is this a concern in a piano  where the board is firmly pressed on
the rim by the plate ?
Ah, and a  far more stupid question : on the bottles of liquid hide glue,
they print a  date.  On mines it says "exp : 24/10/07".  Does this mean  the
glue was EXPedited on October 2007, or that the glue EXPires on that  date ?
(Or was it designed to EXPlose, which apparently it didn't  ?)

Best regards.