Soundboard installation, next topic : trimming at the belly rail

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Jan 22 18:20:02 MST 2008

A flush trim bit will work well.  For the nicest effect, I'd recommend
taping (or otherwise attaching) a veneer shim along the belly rail where the
bearing guide will travel.  Trim the first time with the veneer in place,
remove the veneer, and make a final pass.  This way, on the final cut, the
router will be removing very little material.  It makes for a cleaner cut.
Though, a hand plane is an elegant solution as well.  Quieter, less messy,
and more pleasing to the soul.  ;-]  You'll still have to clean up the ends
with a chisel.

William R. Monroe