Ottostein piano

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Tue Jan 22 21:04:59 MST 2008

Greetings all --

I just worked on a very nice four year old Ottostein upright piano. The
family is Chinese and they purchased the piano new in Hong Kong. Just last
month they moved to Los Angeles. The piano was shipped out and arrived about
two weeks ago.

Pierce doesn't list the name. But on the piano was a sticker that said Tom
Lee Piano Co., which appeared to me at the time to be the name of the store
where the piano was purchased. From a Google search it appears that Tom Lee
is actually a manufacturer AND a retail outlet with stores in China, Hong
Kong and Canada. Pierce indicates that Tom Lee actually makes pianos at its
factory in Kowloon, Hong Kong, but Ottostein is not listed in the Pierce
Atlas. (The piano has a very low serial number so that's not surprising.)

Parts, and the serial number, KJLG 00254, look very similar to the new
Knabe, but I can't at the moment remember whose making those. Does anyone
have any experience or further knowledge of Ottostein? There is absolutely
nothing wrong with this piano. I'm just curious. Especially since I can't
find anything.

Thanks --

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Los Angeles