Soundboard drydown for installation

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Jan 22 22:10:47 MST 2008

Hi JD
  Well, I would like to know for sure as too but  whatever it does it doesn't
seem to be a detriment either way.
   The only thing I can imagine is that as I said in  my earlier posting that
a bridge which is glued to the board with a light  curvature reduces the need
to force down the treble & bass ends to the  rim as much.
   & Always , Always when the first clamps to go  on during glue up to the
rim are on  the treble and bass corners. One  has to force them down
considerably. It may be that when that occurs the middle  of the board is being forced
down too. Is that bad.  I dunno.  But on  One A-2 I did in the above fashion
seemed to have a considerable  freedom to the sound. It was different.  That's my
subjective  opinion. WHen I dropped the board it in the piano the first time
it fit all  the way round with little bass treble strain.
     I have had the luxury &  priveledge of hearing approx. 99% percent of
the 100 or so boards I've  installed so when something changes I pay attention.
My mind id  open
  Dale

And I'd like to know what is supposed to be achieved by forcing  the
board to curve along the grain, which has the effect, surely,  simply
of producing a curve for its own sake.  Sure there's nothing  new
about the idea but two makers at least that I know who did this
stopped doing it in about 1885, presumably for good  reason.

JD