Soundboard installation, next topic : the glue

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Jan 23 03:50:07 MST 2008

I would like to echo the sentiments expressed below here... How many
times is a piano going to experience a change in soundboard ?  Here it
is quite rare as there is not the same kind of tradition for rebuilding
in Europe as there is in the US.  To my knowledge, most of the time this
kind of thing is usually done at the relevant factory.. and then only in
the case of a special case instrument.   Tho.. this seems to be in the
process of changing.

Even in the states where this is far more often done I have to question
what the odds of an instrument receiving its third soundboard are.
Owners are pretty much the same where ever you go... seems to me far
more likely that by the time needed for a 3rd board the thing will have
been burnt at somebodies midsummer party.

Cheers
RicB

    Well, where you are you seem to replace soundboards as though they
    were sparking-plugs.  Quite why I can't tell.  A soundboard over here
    is most unlikely to be replaced even after 100 years and most of them
    are fine after 100 years if the pianos have any worth.

    As to the difficulty of removal, it makes no difference unless you
    intend to remove the old board with every fibre intact and keep it in
    a museum as an example of a soundboard that failed.

    JD