Charge more to tune a Steinway?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Jan 23 11:01:39 MST 2008

Farrell wrote:
> S&S verticals, yes. Grands, no. Nope, not just you. I don't charge more.
> I don't tune very many of them, so it's not that big a deal. However
> when I'm in the midst of tuning one (and I've got one little ba$tard in
> mind....) I seriously wonder why I don't charge more.
>
> I learned to tune on a brand-new S&S 1098. Talk about a rough
> introduction......  :-0
>
> Terry Farrell

I feel your pain, Terry, I did a lot of my first tunings on brand new
243s...

I've got here a $&$ ratio of 10 grands to 1 45", and a tuning ratio of
probably 100:1 since the 45" is in a studio and several of the grands
are in performance venues. I think that's about right... ;-]

The studio piano requires more time because the construction features
accelerate reaching the point of diminishing returns and increasing the
frustration factor. (accelerated action?)

The grands, particularly the bigger ones, can take more time because
they DEMAND it. They can, and will, show up any weaknesses in your
tuning and/or technique. They can humble you. They don't take prisoners.
However, the more effort you put into them and, (as Les said) the more
you listen to what they're saying to you, the better the results that
will be produced.

Put slightly differently, if you put the best tuning you can on that
upright and follow it up, immediately, with another best tuning, you'll
probably wind up with a slightly different tuning, but likely not a
better one. Do the same to a grand (and not just $&$) and the following
tuning will not only be slightly different, but definitely better.

But to answer your original question, no, I don't charge more for
particular brands, but I often GET more - enjoyment and gratification.

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076