Soundboard drydown for installation

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 23 17:45:52 MST 2008

> In this restrained condition, what happens to the board
> itself in terms of dimensional shrinkage, not in terms of
> crown/down-bearing/etc, but simply in terms of when will
> the board want to crack.
>
> Jim I

Good question. I don't know. Neither does Jude, which is why
he's gone down the middle with the hybrid. I'd expect the
board would crack at some point, but it will sooner or later
in any construction given that kind of MC variation.
Functionally, the difference is that a panel in an RC&S board
can crush and crack until it looks like a corn crib and still
function quite well, where a CC board would be toast, and an
RC hybrid would be degraded to whatever degree it relied on
panel compression for stiffness.

This is where RC&S with a laminated panel is the obvious out.

Ron N