Qualified Piano Appraisers

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Thu Jan 24 08:13:07 MST 2008

Greetings Phil,

         From my understanding, If you are going to sign the IRS form 8283
you should be able to prove that you are qualified to appraise pianos. See the
PTG archives on this subject. I went through this last March, and received much
direction and advice on the subject. You should be aware of FMV (fair market
value) vs RV (replacement value) among other things.

  Also, I was told by the IRS that having an EIN number for putting on the
appraisal form is permitted. Please know, If you sign form 8283, you are
required to put either your Soc Sec number or an EIN number, and putting your
personal SS# on a form that someone keeps for their records is ID theft risk, because
if the folks who donate the piano pass away, who knows what relatives or
people will be cleaning out their filing cabinets and get your SS number. This
whole subject needs to be approached with great care, research,and thought.

Julia
Reading, PA