Soundboard contruction methods

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jan 24 10:26:40 MST 2008

Hi Jude.

Grin... I'll agree that the discussions that have taken place through
the years on the subject have left me far more informed then I'd ever
have been without them.  But its been a battle all the way. At
present... we have kept things nice and calm... non-vitriolic as it
were... but it hasn't always been such.  That tho, concerns me least of.
More distracting and harder to weed through is all the mixing of facts
with preferences.... boarding on purposeful disinformation from time to
time... propaganda like I dare say.  Still... as you say this is far to
prefer over the secretive discourse of the past.

Interesting that you cite examples of RC & S boards developing killer
octaves.  I've kinda been waiting to hear this kind of thing pop up.  I
guess I'm just a bit over idealistic in thinking that such discussions
could be nearly completely topical, objective in nature, ego-less and
with out all the less attractive sides to passion.  It would make it a
whole lot easier to get a good grasp on things.

Thanks for the for the constructive <<babble>> :)... I for one
appreciate your style of input.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric, I'm not sure I agree that the topic has been overblown, perhaps
    overexposed. Still, I prefer this to secretive and the the
    discussion is far from vitrolic, despite whatever good-natured jabs
    we may take at one another. (Besides I have it from a good inside
    source, names will not be revealed, of some R,C&S boards that have
    developed killer octave problems and other tonal problems after 5 to
    10 years,so we need not lead anyone out of the festival :).

    So again I think we can all agree that it never boils down to just
    one isolated part of the process. Nor do I mean to dilute the
    debate; we don't have a choice but to isolate the steps of our
    construction methods to try to derive some conclusions as to what
    produces a  certain type of tone. Anyway, I babble...

    Jude Reveley, RPT
    Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
    Lowell, Massachusetts
    (978) 323-4545