R,C&S question

alan forsyth alan at forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 24 13:49:10 MST 2008

"In  RC&S, panel compression isn't needed at all to support crown,
because the number and stiffness of the ribs will support
bearing without it,....."

Strikes me that if the rib set alone is able to support crown and
downbearing, theoretically then a much thinner panel can be used which has
the added benefit of being lighter and therefore making the whole assembly
much more reactive to vibration. I have seen a soundboard with panels as
thin as 1mm, but glued to both the top and the underside of the ribs. I
suppose then that compliance (impedance) might become an issue.

AF