R,C&S question

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jan 24 20:12:18 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/24/2008 6:20:02 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
juderev at verizon.net writes:

Jude:

Ahh, so I can't have my cake and eat  it.

Still, doesn't an RC&S panel  experience similar high compression loads when
it's humid out also  leading to the accelerated aging. I hear what  you're
saying about wood, but if we're going to be consistent, why  should there be
accelerated aging on any type of panel if it's kept in a  relatively stabile
environment.

HI  Jude
  Maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick  again........
The truth is there isn't much aging and when climates are  moderated so aging
happens over such along time it doesn't matter. The  performance of all
mechanical devices diminishes with age & use. It's a  piano after all.
    I think the practical question that needs to be  asked is.....
   How long should a piano have to last to  be deemed enjoyable by us here on
the list &  elsewhere.

 I give this case in point.

 I restored a Stwy German C for a composer pianist.   It has lived in the
coastal climates of Calif for 103 years now. It was here  long before heating &
air conditioning.

 I was called to restore it.  The piano has  dramatically healthy crown
measured with a string test even in the  trebles.  Unheard of  by me.... No bearing
in the killer & not  much elswhere. The panel shows about 14 faint  dark
hairline  anomalies.  Nothing open. Nothing looking really crushed. Average
humidity  55 to 65 %.

  The complaint is the sound of the piano doesn't go  anywhere.  As this
thread has made clear.... crown with no bearing is like  a car with no gas in the
tank.  It doesn't go anywhere. Short story is  ......The plate was lowered,
the killer bridge cap replaced & made taller.  Cracks in my dry climate opened
only slightly.  Filled with epoxy. New  action/everything &  Voila the piano is
magic again.
   It happens & out here we've seen it sooo many  times. SO with moderate
environments aging decelerates...(just  like humans) & so many pianos will
survive well and make great music.

Don't get me wrong,  I've enjoyed Making a variety of  different style sound
boards & I've learned much here but I don't have any  agenda except quality
   I see it this way if the piano sounds good &  is making music & we like it
....will we like less if we know that it's made  such & so?
   Nahhhhhh!.
  Dale

48)