Questions on sound waves/air blowing/wind

paul bruesch paul at bruesch.net
Fri Jan 25 08:18:44 MST 2008

Wind is an air mass that's moving, at a constant velocity, relative to a
stationary body... the planet, you, a building, etc.  Sound is also air
that's moving, but it's air that is moving not only relative to stationary
bodies, but also relative to itself. A vibration is a molecule of air
pushing the molecule ahead of it, but the molecule behind the one that's
pushing isn't pushing, or even quite keeping up.

You (or at least I) *can* feel sound... haven't you ever stood in front of
the big woofer speakers at a concert or at the disco<g>?

I'm sure I'll get clarified or even (likely) corrected, but that's my
explanation and I'm sticking to it, at least until I get clarified or
corrected...

Paul Bruesch
Stillwater, MN (where it's warming up today... we're already at +4F!)