Soundboard drydown for installation

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jan 25 13:54:06 MST 2008

Hi Frank.

I want to read this a bit more closely before offering any thought to
the points and questions you raise.  I just wanted to qualify a bit what
I mean with the sentence you quote below. To begin with, I don't see any
real analogy that perfectly fits. But one thing seemed clear to me
nearly immediately after hearing arguements for and against compression
reliant soundboards.  The panels compression alone is simply not what
does the job of crowning.  Not even in a purely CC board.  The rib
tenses... if it didn't it wouldn't bend. Its kind of like a cable that
is attached the whole underside of the panel and each mm of cable length
is in contact with the panel. But the bit I find significant from the
analogy perspective is that as downbearing is applied, the <<cable>>
strains against the panel straightening out.  The more you exert down
bearing the more the panel compresses and strains the rib... perhaps
(probably to some small degree) to the point of exerting some absolute
tensioning i.e. lowering centroid line very slightly.

As relates to your point about the high point of the <<arch>> / thickest
part of the rib... I agree... the end to end cable analogy doesn't work
there.  But the way the ribs strain against the compression strength of
the panel is similar none the less... or so it strikes me.  Perhaps a
cable that is thicker directly under the bridge would do the same thing
?  I'm out of my league with that speculation... but I thought I'd throw
it out there anyways.

Cheers
RicB