New book -Grand Obsession-

Michael Spreeman m_spreeman at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 26 15:35:35 MST 2008

>From what I've seen, the book is a summary of her experience with shopping for a piano, purchasing it, and subsequent adventures with various technicians attempting to reproduce the sound she heard in the showroom.

It has its positive virtues through exposing the various used car sales techniques and lies employed by some salespeople which will offer constructive advise to people who are in the market search for a piano.  It also exempifies the potential obsessive compulsive charactoristics that that can often direct and accompany such an artistic quest and the extreme confusion that can one can incur by hearing so many facts vs lies that a typical customer can eventually be unable to discern the two.

A conclusion to which she has yet to reach (at least at the time she wrote the book) through her many ordeals to recapture the sound she experienced when the piano stole her heart in the showroom is the importance of how a piano will sound vastly different in alternative environments. No piano will sound or perform the same in a home with low ceilings, carpet, different RH, temperature variations, and/or room shape and wall coverings than it does, say, in a large showroom with hardwood floors, expansive ceilings, etc. Even the most experienced of the magic wizard techs cannot duplicate the environment in which she initially felt and heard the piano, a principle that would be wise to keep in mind when attempting to satisfy certain clients. But her antics reflecting her experiences with the techs are still amusing and entertaining.
                Michael  Spreeman http://www.spreemanpianoinnovations.com

From: cgpiano at suddenlink.netTo: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: New book -Grand Obsession-Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:09:04 -0800

  Has anyone read this new book "Grand Obsession" by Perri Knize?  Before I spring for a copy, I want to know my colleagues' opinion.
 One of her obsessions is trying to find a piano technician.  Here is a New York Times review:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/books/review/Brockes-t.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Carman Gentile RPT
Redwood Chapter