Silica Gel Dessicant in Pianos

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 27 00:33:34 MST 2008

There is a product called Music Sorb which supplies large packets of a special dessicant for use in pianos.  The packets are about the size of a brick, and two recommended for each piano.  The special quality of the dessicant is that it gives off moisture if the relative humidity is less than 50 %, and absorbs it if it is more than 50%.  The product is supposed to work if the surrounding area is at least kept closed (like under a string cover) or in the bottom of an upright piano.  I have some installed in a few pianos, and the jury is still out how well it works. I'll report back sometime in the future when I get to see them again.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego