[Files] Mehlin grand 1935

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Wed Jan 23 06:19:02 MST 2008

Fenton,

            And I was hoping that the pictures would take you to a far off
wonderful place! <G>

                        Kidding aside-A year or so ago the Boston chapter
sponsored one of Del's presentations on piano design and among many topics

            he spoke about some of these older manufacturers such as Mehlin
,and Chickering where innovation was part of the culture.

            I'm not a designer but have a new appreciation for the efforts
made by these old houses.

            .

            To be sure some of these ideas failed ----Have you seen the
Crownulator?----- and quirkiness alone ---Kranich and Bach ----will make me
run in the opposite direction  but this old Mehlin with those ribs tapered
in the middle and floating board got my attention.

            I have a dealer friend of mine who carries various flavors of
pianos from China and I can't tell one from another without looking at the
fallboard.

I realize that the bottom line has driven the industry to Asia, and R and D
everywhere is essentially nonexistent.  Case in point is the "innovation" of
bringing back a design from the 19th century with associated trumpets
blaring this great event

The good news here is that the small shops -Del, the Ron's ,Dale ,Jude and
others are where the "action " still lives in my opinion.

The Rochester gallery was proof enough

            Tom-looking for the next goofy piano---Driscoll

Subject: Re: [Files] Mehlin grand 1935

Tom,

Your pictures take me nowhere, but I'm here to say I'm a fan of many old
Mehlin pianos. I had an old upright years ago that I finally sold for 3500,
beautiful cabinet and a fantastic piano. I have a client with a 6' grand
from the teens that needs rebuilding, a wonderful instrument.

Fenton

Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008 5:02 PM

Subject: [Files] Mehlin grand 1935