Laminated panels

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jan 27 07:05:48 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jude Reveley/Absolute Piano"

.....and Richard Brekne wrote:
>> the one board I <<designed>> was not only laminated but laminate crowned.

Jude - Regarding your concern about horizontal shearing stress. Is that
concern that the panel or rib might fail or degrade in some way as a result
of whatever shearing stresses might be present? Is your concern that these
items might fail or degrade more readily than a solid item?

>From what I've experienced, building these items with adhesives such as
Titebond yields excellent results. Some folks would have concerns regarding
glue "creep" with Titebond. I don't, but if one did, build the panel or ribs
with a glass-hard adhesive like two-part urea-formaldehyde. Is "creep" where
your concern center? I used a modified two-part urea-formaldehyde adhesive
on the panel that Richard Brekne wrote about. Certainly the bond with that
adhesive is way stronger and sheer-resistant than the wood itself. And with
respect to the panel, I should think that crossing grain angles between
laminations would also make the entire assembly more resistant to stress
from any direction - including sheer.

Just my thoughts, FWIW.

Terry Farrell