R,C&S question JD

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jan 27 09:41:27 MST 2008

Hi Dale

Gotta admit it doesn't make sense... at least not with my understanding
of how compression works.  Seems like a couple other responses indicate
others think along the same lines as I do... here.  Lets see..

You have a panel glued on to a 1 meter rib at a 15 ' radius (just a
throw out example). You are saying that a downwards force on the panel
which leaves the assembly in a state of 25 % of the original crown will
not impart significant compression into the panel ?  Or have I
misunderstood your reply ?

Cheers
RicB

    Ric/JD
      Even if a compression Crowned board could bend those  short treble
    ribs
    into a 60 ft radius it would be negligibly  measurable.  SO 25 % of
    residual
    crown of that is almost zip.  Del  & others  have made the case that
    the upper
    treble area is driven  primarily by mass & stiffness due to the
    smaller board
    area & stiff  ribs... I agree.
      I crown these ribs as tight as 15 ft but even so on  a 15 inch rib
    were
    only talking scant MM or 2. But I like having something to  push
    against that
    resembles real crown.
      Makes sense?
      Dale