bass bridge replacement

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sun Jan 27 15:00:47 MST 2008

Brian,
Doing a bass bridge with out pulling the plate, as in an old upright, can be
tricky. Making the bridge is not so hard. Removing the old cap and
establishing a good glue joint with the new cap as well as getting bearing
and other positioning requirements right can be the hard part. I remove
bridge pins, make a pattern and index it to the root or plate with bridge
pin holes , locate screws coming up from underneath with magnets, grind them
out, then route the old cap off thereby destroying it. Routing off the old
cap with the plate in requires some sort of track for the router to run on.
Lay new cap material on and determine thickness needed and plane or sand cap
to correct thickness. Glue on new cap with screws and lay pattern over and
drill for pins then notch or bevel as needed, or dry fit with screws, make
pattern on the bench, then glue up. I hope this is more helpful than my last
response, I though about my answer later and it struck me as a little
condescending, sorry. Basic woodworking skills and machine set ups are as
important here as piano theory, IMHO.
Fenton