RC&S question in general Kent

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jan 28 15:12:54 MST 2008

Hi Kent

    Your "bold faced fact" appears to be an opinion to me, an opinion
    based on your analysis of the available data and evidence. Others
    looking at the same data and evidence, myself included, might reach
    a different opinion.

    Kent Swafford

Of course we all have the right to draw whatever conclusions we want.
But  lets back off from unnecessary extreme positions. These discussions
are supposed to enlighten us about how different  approaches function.
The whole... <<which is better>> thing is nothing more then a
destructive side track.  Who is discouraging who in all this ?
Disputing the validity of RC and CC methods is no more productive then
some of the discussion tactics just used... or throwing out presumably
lightly meant death threats. How does any of this answer any of the
questions on the table or provide deeper understanding into the various
methods different builders use and have used to build the instrument we
all love and have devoted our lives to servicing ?

Take this residual crown bit as an example. The query was clearly
qualified as including two other known states... Rib dimensions and
amount of panel compression at glue up MC. Before going on please let me
point you to the following very short post from Ron Nossaman.

    http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2008-January/216274.html

So I asked...given the aforementioned qualifying conditions  how much
compression a given downbearing will impart into the soundboard for a
given deflection... ie. for what ever target residual crown there is
after downbearing is applied. The post I just directed you to clearly
conflicts with the flurry of responses I got declaring that residual
crown is meaningless.  Despite going out of my way to re-underline the
conditions I set... which are perfectly inline with Rons post I linked
to above... I got the usual ration. Grin... and on top of that.. there
are actually exacting predetermined amounts of this same residual crown
calculated on when designing and RC&S board for any given scale. Its
nearly half of the whole design approach !

Now where is the constructive learning spirit in all this ? What ends
are served ?

I'd restate my question... but it seems like really no one knows how to
figure how much compression is imparted to a panel for a given
downbearing with known starting values for rib strength and orientation
and panel compression for a constant RH.    And if THAT be the case...
then how on earth can we be certain of just how much compression is in
an RC&S panel when loaded ? Those ribs are stiff suckers... downbearing
forces compression in the panel as it strains against the ribs.... its a
fair question.

Why don't we drop all this judgmental stuff and get down to what this
list is supposed to be about.  I'm just asking questions I want straight
and respectful answers too.  Is that such a problem ?

Cheers
RicB