Soundboard Construction Methods

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 04:12:04 MST 2008

[ I don't see the point of these personalized subject headers, which
destroy threading, and have therefore changed back to "Soundboard
construction methods" -- properly spelt this time! ]

At 21:47 +0000 26/1/08, John Delacour wrote:

>By contrast, other methods shrink the board with the main purpose of
>achieving considerable compression across the grain of the board in
>the strung piano, this compression being an end in itself apart from
>its other mechanical functions.

This is the main big question to my mind in this discussion of
soundboard construction techniques, which I limit to soundboards of
spruce, not to muddy the waters with laminated panels, which are not
at issue here, or with any construction of my own.

By the nature of the barred and crowned soundboard, no matter how it
is constructed, there will be compression ( or, in extreme cases, a
reduction in tension!) at the top of the system on the one hand when
the necessary radial pressure of the strings comes into effect and on
the other as the moisture content of the board exceeds the moisture
content at assembly.  What distinguishes the various methods is the
_degree_ of compression and in particular its proximity to the yield
point of the wood across the grain.

I will draw an analogy with the stretched steel string where the
sound of the piano is created, without making any connexion between
two very different phenomena -- steel under tension and softwood
under compression -- except to note that the strain to which the two
materials are severally subjected has important implications for the
way they vibrate.

As regards this phenomenon in relation to the strings, there will be
little dispute here, but when it comes to the desirability, degree
and results of that strain in the spruce soundboard, then views and
methods do differ and always have done to some extent, and ultimately
each maker or restorer who strives for the highest degree of
perfection in the responsiveness and tone quality of his pianos makes
certain judgements based on taste, sensitivity, acuteness of hearing,
personal musicality etc. etc. and hopes to develop methods that will
produce this elusive quality.

A long time ago asked a friend who has principal pianist with the
Shanghai Symphony Orchestra what it was most that led him to prefer
the Steinway, and his answer was that a Steinway "has bones".  I knew
what he meant and I know now that "bones" (and I don't mean ribs!) is
_one_ of the essential qualities of the piano tone that I seek out
and aim to reproduce.  Without bones, other essential qualities of
the modern piano sound that _I_ aim for cannot be properly developed.

Now my experience and taste suggest to me that the qualities I am
looking for are closely connected to the state of compression of the
soundboard.  I am at a disadvantage in not having had direct contact
or heard recordings made with pianos whose soundboards are made by
variations of the "RCS" method.  To say I am open-minded would be
mildly hyperbolic, but I'd like to know where I can hear them
on-line.  My mind opens and changes very promptly when I get evidence
to dispel my illusions.

JD