Laminated panels (Farrell)

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 07:45:42 MST 2008

Yes, but the same would be true for the solid counterpart - so no
disadvantage here. In fact, such a defect would often be more difficult to
detect in a larger solid piece of wood, rather than one that had been cut
into thin laminations.

I find it amazing sometimes how little knots or pitch pockets or insect
damage will appear in a perfectly clear piece of spruce after a little
planing. IMHO, one of the very real advantages to building laminated ribs is
that you are able to do something on the order of a manual CAT scan of the
spruce prior to assembly. With the solid rib, you never know the integrity
of the wood just below the surface - there could be a big knot or pitch
pocket or whatever that will adversely affect the strength properties of the
rib.

Terry Farrell