Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 29 12:59:22 MST 2008

Hey Thump.

Not quite sure enough of what you're up to has come through here.  Are
you removing ribs or just working glue in where they've come loose from
the panel already ? What exactly is this method of recrowning ?  I doubt
seriously whether gluing a few mm of loose rib/panel contact along
cracks before or after drying is going to make all that much difference
to the amount of crown if thats what you are doing.... and as far as
getting reverse crown upon taking on humidity.... nahhh...  with or
without filling the cracks if anything you'd be tending towards crown
increase.... of which their would probably be very little if any.

I'd like to hear more about this recrowning method.  So far the best
suggestion I've heard for compression reliant boards is rib extenders...
a bit of work to install but just so.

Cheers
RicB

    Dear List,

    I'm attempting a  soundboard recrowning by a method another
    technician says he's done dozens by, successfully. The first step
    involves extensive drying in a "dry-room". ( Mine's a  portable
    building with a  dehumidifier and oil-filled heater,  where the
    humidity's about 10%, and the heat's about 90 ).  It's been in there
    a couple of weeks, and the board's existing cracks are nice and
    wide, but I haven't glued the board back to the ribs, yet, where
    they're loose on the sides of the cracks, and suddenly wonder if,
    maybe, I should have done this before I dried it all down ??? In
    other words: if I glue them now, and the board and ribs take on
    moisture, will that, in fact, cause the baord to push the ribs DOWN,
    because the   very dry  ) wood that's glued to them will be justa
    tad sort of where it used to be ?   Or am I worrying too much about
    "nothing" ???   And I sort a figured that the question of whether
    ribs were dried prior to glue-up had some bearing on the question.

    Thump