insurance

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Wed Jan 30 06:07:15 MST 2008

Everything Ron says is funny!

dp

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:04 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: insurance

> I keep meaning to make a sign with something like,
> "Piano tuner at work.  Please do not disturb."
> Michelle Smith

A few years back, I walked through the music room full of high
school creatures with the teacher, headed for a piano back in
the catacombs. As we passed, I heard "Hey, Santa Clause" come
from the back of the room. I looked the room over, said
"special ed?" and kept walking. It got really really quiet.

About the do not disturb sign: one Sunday, in an Air Farce
barracks in Germany a bit over 38 years ago, I put a sign on
my door saying "Out of order. Do not inquire within". Through
the afternoon, close to twenty people knocked, opened the
door, and asked what the sign meant. I also had a big square
ashtray hanging from the ceiling by a string, level, about
three inches above a table. When they looked in to ask about
the sign, they saw the ashtray, and naturally asked "what's
that?" "Idiot trap", was the reply. It got a nod and a grin
every single time, then they left. Served 'em right for not
believing the sign.

So I guess the message is that you won't win, but it's
sometimes possible to have some fun during the failure. Other
times, not.

Ron N