Laminated panels (Farrell)

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Wed Jan 30 07:58:57 MST 2008

So I have often wondered about how drying the panel (and ribs????) down to 3.5% MC prior to rib gluing might affect the integrity of that rib-to-panel glue joint when using a water-based glue (hot hide, Titebond, Bolduc, etc.). That's another reason I find more comfort in gluing ribs on at 6 or 6.5% MC (and not drying ribs).

>Why would this be a factor? Because of concern over a dimensional change in wood after glue up, why would water based be a factor. When the wood takes on ambient moisture it attacks the glue?  Can't be. I don't get it. I never heard that. Wood can be damaged by over drying, but if it is controlled and slowly brought down, that's different. Of course the opposite is true, it can't be good to take out a 3.5 panel where I live (66% average ) and let it freak out in a piano glue up.

 With the panel laminations nearly parallel, it was pretty much like incorporating a rib directly into the panel.

>Wouldn't having the bottom lam 90 to the above lam hold a radius better. Like a rib. Why have them close to parallel? I see what's happening at the tail. At first I thought is was an added panel.

Come on down! We'll mix up a pitcher of margaritas and talk piano belly.......