Moisture Meters?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jan 30 09:02:33 MST 2008

> How are people who are talking about low EMC's in the 4%
> range quantifying their as built EMC's?
>
> Same question for those of us in the higher EMC Ranges.

This gage goes where the panel or ribbed assembly goes, be it
the hot box, or the shop. Since it's made of similar stuff as
the panel, the assumption is that it will react to moisture at
a similar rate to the panel, and I get a direct MC reading
without thermometers, RH% meters, or conversion tables. It's a
strip of soundboard panel mounted in a frame so it can expand
and contract unconstrained. The length (cross grain) of the
panel is calculated and calibrated so overall length change is
0.010" per 1% MC change. It's read directly by a dedicated
dial indicator, which Harbor Freight sold for under $7. The
reading on the dial in the photo is 8.8% MC. Hard to see at
this low resolution.

That's how I do it.
Ron N