37 steps

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Wed Jan 30 09:45:40 MST 2008

Thanks Alan! :>)   Thanks Don as well!! pw

"Alan Barnard" <pianotuner at embarqmail.com>
Sent by: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
01/30/2008 10:03 AM
Please respond to
pianotuner at embarqmail.com; Please respond to
Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

pianotech at ptg.org
cc

Subject
Re: 37 steps

That's Don Mannino's spiel. Alan BarnardSalem, MO
Original messageFrom: "Paul T Williams"  To: "Pianotech List"  Received:
1/30/2008 7:54:32 AMSubject: Re: 37 steps
Yes, LaRoy is a great guy!  He did a seminar in Seattle years ago where he
gave me the 37 step book.  I reference it every once in a while to check
myself.  Another tech (unfortunately, I don't remember who) told me to
think of regulating, tuning, restringing, etc as a spiral....continually
circling in to "perfection".  He called it a circle of refinement. Paul

"Barbara Richmond" <piano57 at insightbb.com> Sent by:
pianotech-bounces at ptg.org
01/29/2008 08:47 PM

Please respond toPianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>

<pianotuner at embarqmail.com>, "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
cc

Subject
Re: 37 steps

I've been to the Little Red School House (1986).  They taught regulating
in cycles.  Just listing these "steps" doesn't tell you the whole story.
Besides tightening the screws, I was taught <there> that the three things
you need before you start to regulate in earnest is blow distance, some
drop and and the repetition springs need enough strength to make the
hammers rise when released slowly out of check.  Sometimes it takes a
little work to get to that point!  LaRoy Edwards is soft spoken, but has a
wonderful sense of humor.  The information he's shared (and I was willing
to listen to) is largely why I've been a successful technician.   Barbara
Richmond, RPT near Peoria, Illinois ----- Original Message ----- From:
Alan Barnard To: pianotech at ptg.org Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 7:48 PM
Subject: Re: 37 steps
I concur. Actually, Potter (The Randy Potter School of Witchcraft and
Piano Technology) does nicely stress the importance of, how shall we say,
cyclical adjustments, i.e., going back to previous steps at certain
points. Don Mannino, Roger Jolly (where's he been lately?), and others
also stress this in their classes.Alan BarnardSalem, MO

Original messageFrom: "David Andersen"  To: l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net,
"Pianotech List"  Received: 1/29/2008 4:45:01 PMSubject: Re: 37 steps

On Jan 29, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Leslie Bartlett wrote:  It's not really so
different than Potter or Reblitz. I don't know about Potter or Reblitz,
but if you regulate according to the Yamaha 37 steps you'll have some
problems. Spring strength affects almost every other regulation point; if
you don't do it very precisely first, and then refine it later on, thing
will change, and not for the better; wrong spring strength (too little or
too much) will blur and confuse the feeling of the other precise
regulation protocols. Blow distance, some aftertouch, then spring
strength. Foist and fawmost, kiddies. Balance is the key. xoDA