Korean Dip

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Wed Jan 30 16:32:43 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/30/2008 3:13:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
david at davidandersenpianos.com writes:

Just take it to the bank---really---that most if not all modern acoustic
grand pianos operate on a minimum key travel of 10mm. In stone.

Save possibly some Baldwins, which tend to require less key travel for the
same amount of hammer travel (I guess this depends on your definition of
modern). On an unknown piano, I do like to start at 10 mm, and see what kind of blow
that produces, with the kind of aftertouch I like (minimal, .030-.040). One
can also look at how the shanks relate to the cushions, at the jacks to see how
they appear to be designed to line up, and feel whether there is a sweet spot
in the blow distance, beyond which the divergence from the ideal line of
centers becomes great enough that the hammer is harder to get going.

Bob D