37 steps. Or 9. Or 21. Or whatever...

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 30 18:56:02 MST 2008

At 03:52 PM 1/29/2008, pianotech-request at ptg.org wrote:
>I don't know about Potter or Reblitz, but if you regulate according
>to the Yamaha 37 steps you'll have some problems. Spring strength
>affects almost every other regulation point; if you don't do it very
>precisely first, and then refine it later on, thing will change, and
>not for the better; wrong spring strength (too little or too much)
>will blur and confuse the feeling of the other precise regulation protocols.
>
>Blow distance, some aftertouch, then spring strength. Foist and
>fawmost, kiddies. Balance is the key.
>
>xoDA

More time is wasted arguing about what regulation "step" has to be
done before what other regulation "step" than just about anything
else in this profession. The bottom line is, some things affect other
things and ultimately regulation is a circular process - you run
through the functions and refine them as needed until you get a
satisfactory result. And anyone's formula or recipe or list of
"steps" leaves something to be desired. Ultimately one does not
master regulation until one can read from the action itself - and not
from some list of steps - what actually needs to be done next.
Conversely, if one just follows a list of steps without a clear
understand of what is being affected and how at every step of the way
- one will get into trouble no matter whose list they use...

Israel Stein