Moisture Meters?

jimialeggio5 at comcast.net jimialeggio5 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 31 08:12:44 MST 2008

Ron,

Just so I confirm I understand the calculation, may I restate your calculation:

Ron wrote, "The dimensional change rate is calculated from the same
data as a 0.001" per 1" per MC%"

Restated as:

I'll say my hypothetical sample test piece measured the following pre and post oven
drying

6" across the grain pre oven drying
5" across the grain post oven drying
change in dimension, pre (minus) post oven drying =1"
Emc before oven drying 5%

1"(dim change after oven drying)/6"(original cross grain dim) =.166" dim change
per 1 inch of pre oven stock

If it shrinks .166" with an emc change of 5%, shrinkage with an emc change of 1%
is .166/5= .03" per 1% of emc change.

Jim I