Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jan 31 10:01:40 MST 2008

Hi Greg.

I agree really.  But then you know me and words like <<better>> :)  I
can understand how it can be that someone really likes the sound of old
instruments.  There is a lot of psychology in it I suppose....  or
mystic if you prefer. But if you stop to consider it for a bit...
getting to that objective part of why folks like the sound of this that
or the other instrument is pretty difficult even with new instruments.
But you know where I stand on all this already.

My reaction to Thumpys post was along the lines of ... how he could form
such an opinion given the rest of his post. I mean.... he was attempting
to come from a piano technisk angle.... not your usual pianist in love
with old instruments route.  I mean really... old wood or not...
whatever its attributes... if you dont use it appropriately it wont
sound any good period.

Cheers Greg

RicB

    Ric,
        There is a marked difference between "much like a new", "just as
    well", and " better" as Thump put it. I, for one, cannot fathom how
    it could
    ever be considered to be "better".

    Greg Newell
    Greg's Piano Forté