Do you dry the ribs, along with the board, prior to gluing ?

Greg Newell gnewell at ameritech.net
Thu Jan 31 23:23:38 MST 2008

Thump,
	What kind of time is necessary for this oxidation of the resins to
take place and how do you determine if the board has reached that stage or
not? Are there boards in pianos that you would not reuse?
	Do I understand you to mean that the added stiffness due to the
oxidation phenomenon is what essentially enhances the color of the tone and
also the more efficient transfer of vibrations along the board. (BTW, are we
talking along the grain or across the grain here, ... or both?)
	In your second paragraph you seem to state that a new board will
develop compression set regardless of the style of construction. Have I
interpreted this correctly? If not, why not simply design a board assembly
without so much potentially damaging compression? Hasn't the old board lost
crown specifically because of this, what might be considered excessive,
compression?
	I'm certainly NOT trying to fight about this. You are certainly
entitled to your beliefs. I won't argue that. I was only wondering if you
substantiate them with anything or that they were purely subjective.

All the best,

Greg Newell
Greg's Piano Forté
www.gregspianoforte.com