CA Glue for pin blocks

Owen Greyling greyco at kingston.net
Tue Jun 3 15:49:52 MDT 2008

Hi Alan,

Bolduc blocks are very forgiving, compared to say, delignit, when it comes
to variations in hole size. If you drilled the block yourself, I would
consider very strongly changing something in your procedure before you drill
another. I would NOT contaminate the block with anything. Pull the offending
pins and go up one size. Do one at a time and make notes about where you put
them, because you probably won't be able to find them a month from now.

I am just fitting a new bolduc hybrid block,( first I've tried) and will
perform a few tests before I commit to drilling at my regular speed and
length of time in the hole. I tried the hybrid block with the small
laminations because of the insane amount of fitting that this particular
block requires. The flange, which is curved, slants in the opposite to
normal direction, plus has an angled section, which is not consistent in
size nor angle, that comes up from the tuning pin field, about an inch
across that I decided to fit almost as well as the flange. The original
block though beautifully fit to the flange, had all kinds of inconsistent
space between the angled flange and the webbing. I'm not really sure why it
failed, but it may have to with the "rebuilding" this piano suffered twenty
years ago.

Back to your problem. Do you know what size drill bit, and at what rpm's the
block was drilled at? If it helps, I drill Bolduc blocks at 1250 rpm. using
an air cooled .257 high helix drill bit, as fast as possible, about 4 to 5
seconds in the hole. I drill with the block fitted, and attached to the
plate. I would really be interested in knowing what procedure and techniques
were used. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've always had wonderful results with
A. Bulduc's pinblocks.

As with any advice, take what you need and discard what doesn't work for
you.

Good Luck,

Owen J. Greyling

  _____