Vibrations: Example

Garret Traylor hpp at highpointpiano.com
Tue Jun 17 07:18:38 MDT 2008

We once found a buzz in a hollow key lead.  Seems when this particular key
lead was manufactured, a droplet of lead inside the hollow lead had broken
off and was bouncing around in the space when a certain frequency was
produced.  It took four pianos technicians and at least as many days to find
it.  Technician of the day was David Pitts who localized the buzz with a
stethoscope.  The dissection showed all the characteristic of how the lead
droplet formed.  I think it was a Steinway B.

Kindest Regards,

Garret