Hamburg String seating proceedures

ricb at pianostemmer.no ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Mar 9 10:14:38 MST 2008

Hi Bruce

My own take on this is that its doesnt matter much which order you do
these things. The only stablity issue I can see would be related to
the back scale tension, and that is quite easily addressed by itself
later on if one feels one has to.

As far as string seating itself. I'm more or less on the side of
those who view this whole area with a good deal of caution... for not
to say outright skepticsm. I do believe that string seating is a
necessary proceedure and reject outright claims that the need can not
exist if there is a condition of positive actual bearing... i.e. that
strings can not find themselves stuck up the pins a tad.  That said I
also believe that the minimal amount of force should be applied to
assure contact between string and bridge. IME a shank on the string
over the bridge surface itself is enough to do the job. One only
needs a very slight tap... or even less a slight massage motion just
behind each pin.

YMMV
RicB

--------------
Thank you for addressing the subject.  I have a follow up question to
the
string seating issue.
Is there a logical sequence to seating the entire string including
lifting
or mating strings to hammers.
My concern is tuning stability, ensuring that one step in the process

doesn't decrease the effectiveness of future steps in the process.

Is it preferrable to start at the bridge, tap at the contact points
to the
hitch pin, then work from the other side of the bridge all the way to
the
tuning  pin, then mate or lift strings?  Should we mate strings
first, then proceed
 from the ends to the bridge?  Should the mating be inserted in the
middle
of the process?

Ideas????

Bruce Pennington