OT Victor Borge - the Piano Tuner

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 14 17:55:12 MST 2008

>Subject: RE: OT Victor Borge - the Piano Tuner
>Message: 2
>
>Don
>
>It was the last two pianos at the far end of the room
>from the camera that led me to believe it was dubbed
>in.  He sat at the piano on the right and reached
>behind to play octave A's on the piano behind him at
>the end of each phrase.
>
>No one, not Victor Borge, not Horowitz, could reach
>blindly behind himself and strike octave A's cleanly,
>twice in a row.  I don't care how much he practiced,
>unless he has eyes in the back of his head, that was
>dubbed in.
>
>The rest of it also looked dubbed in to me.  The
>cavalier way in which he'd strike the chords as he
>went from piano to piano.  There was no care at the
>last moment to strike the right keys.  It was all for
>show.

Tom,

Have you ever met Victor Borge in person? Did you ever spend any time
around him? He cultivated that "off-hand" manner. At the piano,
backstage, out and about - his public persona was an endless
progression of off-hand gags, one after the other. I wouldn't bet the
mortgage if I were you - never mind $1,000,000.

Israel Stein