Good pianos for schools?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 09:41:23 MST 2008

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Andrew and Rebeca Anderson <
anrebe at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Steve,
> Sauter has a piano specifically built for school/institutional
> use.  It has big casters well outboard, steel grab bars each
> end.  Locking case, long music desk and a Rapid Repetition (RR2)
> action.  Sauter has won open bidding contracts against Yamaha and Kawai.
> http://www.sauter-pianos.de/english/pianos/classic-line/school-piano.html
> I chose to carry Sauter pianos because they are the best buy in
> high-end pianos.  The dollar-slide has put a crimp into our
> competitiveness but high-quality and an established (European)
> reputation for  longevity should also play into the decision-making
> process.
>
> Good Luck,
> Andrew Anderson
>
> At 08:11 AM 3/16/2008, you wrote:
> >   Does anyone have any recommendations for pianos that will hold up
> > in a school? The local public schools might be getting some new
> > ones. In the past 15 years they have bought some Walter studios and
> > some Boston studios. They have not held up well in the very dry to
> > very humid conditions in the school buildings. Some of the schools
> > have upgraded to geo-thermal systems. I don't like these at all. It
> > is just as dry in the winter as before but now you have forced air
> > drying things out more. I have always recommended the P22's but
> > have not worked on any of the Chinese made ones. I know no piano
> > will do very good under these conditions. The school district does
> > a pretty good job of taking care of the pianos. Music programs are
> > still important in the schools here. Price is always a concern.
> > There are still some of the 40-50 year old Hamilton pianos that
> > some teachers prefer over the newer stuff. Too bad they don't make
> > them like those. Any suggestions will help.
> >
> >  Thanks,  Steve Sandstrom

(snip)Sauter has a piano specifically built for school/institutional
use.  It has big casters well outboard, steel grab bars each
end.  Locking case, long music desk and a Rapid Repetition (RR2)
action.  Sauter has won open bidding contracts against Yamaha and Kawai.)

I would have to wonder how that was accomplished since the Sauter in
question lists for over $20,000.00 and the Kawai I mentioned lists for about
$6500.00?
Steve was asking for a PUBLIC school, in the area of Cedar Rapids, IA, it
must be assumed since he said the local schools and he is listed as being
from Cedar Rapids. Geographically we aren't that far apart, perhaps 150 to
175 miles since I am near LaCrosse WI. I have extensive experience with
school pianos both in public and private schools and no matter how good the
piano is I doubt you will be able to convince a school board to pay the
extra amount in this fiscally tight day and age. Presented with 2 pianos
with similar warranties, the bottom line will be price and price only.
Having just spent the last 2 months, whenever I could spare the time,
renewing 4 P-22's that were purchased new in 1986 by a district and serviced
by by me ever since, for music contests last Saturday I can attest to the
fact that 20 years is about the max for these in a high use situation when
the use of a Dampp-Chaser isn't feasible. The concern was students tripping
on the cord and a battle between janitors and instructors over who should be
required to service them. I placed one in the C-3 grand and eventually
removed it after ascertaining it had done more harm than good. I rebushed
keys, repinned hammer butts, regulated as well as possible and moved on! The
district plans to purchase new pianos next year, I have suggested the UST-9
since the high school is built on land that was formerly a swamp.
The grand has held up better due to limited access, it is kept on the stage
which is not open to the students daily.

Mike

--
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that
will allow a solution.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404