for those on the fence about hearing protection..

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Thu Mar 20 15:24:33 MST 2008

> So why don't some of go ahead and come back to me about how Latin
> Pianists are no problem...;-]

I dealt with one 2 weeks ago from a band that will remain
nameless..and this particular 'pianist' wore tape on his
fingers. I think someone said the piano is a timbale?!?

The following night that piano was used for another
show..let's just say the first tuning was FUN!

Anyway, I'm the one who started this thread because I was
amazed at what I perceived as a moderate volume to tune
measured 84db..and my test blows averaged 114. Oh, and in
case I forgot to mention it the first time, I actually wind
up and smash the key..no..actually I use 2-3-4 fingers for
my test blow. I have read with interest all the replies from
this thread..2 things come to mind:

My tunings do not go sharp over time.
Hammer technique, in my opinion, is just as important as a
good test blow.

Your mileage may vary, but this is my experience down here.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)