Unison tuning, was for those on the fence about hearing protection..

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Fri Mar 21 11:34:07 MST 2008

I've tuned right, center, left since I went stripless 8 years ago.
The beauty of tuning all three as you go, and making micro-small 3-
string pitch
changes to idealize your temperament: it's like a mini-pitch raise on
each note---you're really settling in the pins and settling the
string down along its entire length the more you sculpt and idealize
the temperament, and your foundation is firm, stable, pleasing, and
trustworthy.

Increased pin sensitivity and awareness equal more stability. A
relaxed-muscle, martial-arts-type test blow is also crucial; both
together create, with a gift for tuning, something beautifully full
and stable with maximum sustain.
xoDavid A.