for those on the fence about hearing protection..

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Mar 26 01:10:41 MST 2008

I have to disagree... there simply is no such thing as a piano that
<<requiress>> hard pounding to get into and hold a stable tuning.  There
are too many tuners out there that are capable of extremely stable
tunings without pounding.  There may be tuners who can only tune this
way... and there may be tuners who cant get a stable tuning one way or
the other... but that by no means says anything about pianos... only the
tuners.

Pounding is simply not necessary.  Pound away if you find it the easiest
way to be sure... but in the end the <<stable tuning>> is in the wrist.
Pounders... at least the good ones... simply set the string by learning
the right combination of where to leave the pin and how much pounding to
bring it into place.  Non pounders... at least teh good ones of these
just set the string where it should be in the first place and no amount
of pounding will do anything positive at all.

This is a classic different strokes for different folks thingy... there
is no <<one way>> here.

Cheers
RicB

    Well said Les and I think overlooked by many, perhaps including
    myself. I
    tune way too many, poorly by half, regulated pianos and I still, no
    matter
    how poor the instrument is, must satisfy my own standards that the
    piano is
    tuned to the best of my ability. Sometimes that requirs a lot of
    pounding
    that I wouldn't do or would find needless on a better piano.